Sunday, May 31, 2009

Letter to Families - May 31, 2009

May 31, 2009

Dear Spruce Street Families,

I hope all is well as we enter the month of June. It is hard to believe that it is almost summer and we will soon be opening the doors to The Spruce Street School! I have some important pieces of information to share with you, and want to make sure I keep you all updated as my planning process continues.

Since we gathered for our Meet and Greet last month, several new families have joined Spruce Street. I want to officially welcome those families to our expanding community! We will have another opportunity to gather over the summer, where all members of the community - including staff, parents, and students – will meet to launch the school year in style. As I’ve mentioned before, it is important to me that families and children feel comfortable entering the doors to the school before the first day arrives. It is also important that teachers and staff know families, so we can work together to provide the best educational experiences for Spruce Street children.

This brings me to an exciting update. I have been hard at work over the past two months recruiting and interviewing prospective educators. I am proud to announce that I am making serious headway in assembling a dynamic, talented staff of educators. I am sure many of you are aware of the budget cuts and hiring restrictions that are limiting most city schools. I am confident, however, that I am maximizing every dollar and making choices that will be most beneficial to the school community. Although I still have some loose ends to wrap up in terms of hiring, I look forward to introducing each member of the Spruce Street team in an upcoming letter.

As we continue to plan curriculum and educational experiences that will take place during the school day, I want to share some additional details from Manhattan Youth, our on-site afterschool provider. Many families expressed interest in either part-time or full-time afterschool services. Registration materials will be available on their website (http://www.manhattanyouth.org) in the coming week or so. Be sure to check back for upcoming information.

I want to extend sincere thanks to all families. I do not underestimate the important task ahead of me, and am truly honored to be in a position to serve the community and do right by your children. You have been incredibly supportive thus far, and I know the school will be successful because the adults will make it so. To that end, I invite you to share your talents and skills with us! Specifically, I am hoping to document upcoming events and “Spruce Street moments,” so if you have a photography/film talent you’d be willing to share, please do reach out!
You can always contact me via email (sprucestreetschool@gmail.com), and I look forward to seeing you all soon!

Best,
Nancy Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment